American Cheese

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

We are happy to see you visit us as a guest.
    Some functions require a free registration. Become a member!

• American Cheese

My husband and I got his son back from his biological mother today and she told us she's been giving him american cheese sandwiches for lunch. I know the Phe level in american cheese is high but I'm at my parent's house and don't have my levels book on hand (and the accugo app doesn't list it) so I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick estimate on how much Phe is in a slice of american cheese because I don't think it fits into his diet and i'm starting to worry about what his biological mother is feeding him.
    • Dannelle wrote:

I don't think it fits into his diet and i'm starting to worry about what his biological mother is feeding him.

Hi,
      you are right. normal cheese is not fitting in the PKU diet. But there is a kind of cheese that she could had use for that sandwiches. In germany we have VioLife cheese for example that has 0 gr. proteins. There are also other company that produce cheese like that.

Maybe you schuld look after : Kraft Singles - that should be with out protein or less protein

you don´t have to be worry about it ;) if you choose the right cheese there is no problem.
    • You'll have to call her and ask her to be sure. You should have her give you a detailled list anyway whenever he was with her so you can correctly calculate his diet plan. Otherwise you'll never know how much Phe you have left for the day.
      As to the American Cheese Sandwich... there are indeed low-protein American Cheese Singles. These here. They contain 104 mg Phe per 100 g. She might have used them.