A Chance To Help!!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

We are happy to see you visit us as a guest.
    Some functions require a free registration. Become a member!

• My words of wisdom:

Try not to sound like your only purpose is to preach to them :) . Before high school my levels were always around 8 and sometimes up to 14mg/dl and my previous dietitian always tried to get me to meet with others. So I was kind of in the situation that these two are in. I HATED it when the people I met with preached about this and that, it just made me feel like I was just with them to be told how terrible I was at the diet.

Just try to get to know them a little bit before you offer advice. And give them advice on things that they want advice on. No point in spending hours talking about say formula if they like their formula right ;) ?

I think it's great that your going to talk with them Aaron. Have fun with them and try not to seem like the big bad guy whose out to get them for not following their diet!
      ~It's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about getting out there and dancing in the rain~
      Breanna Hardy 19 CPKU
    • Great that you are going to speak to the teenagers like Brea said there is nothing worst than somebody preaching this or that. Try and get time to know there situation and listen to them then offer any advise that you think is appropriate or even disguss the advice and get their reactions. I am sure that you will be great.
      debbie colyer
    • I agree with everything that was mentioned earlier! I think that is really cool that you agreed to do that and it is not easy because you can`t tell how they will react when they will see You. You gotta tell us how it went and what were the results.

Greets
      Many PKU recipes and information on various benefits for PKUers and families with kids with PKU.
      Language: Polish
      Visit: pkufamily.com
    • I totally agree with what everyone has said. As a teenageer and in my early 20's, I relaxed the diet and the last thing I wanted to hear was someone telling me what to do. I think that made me continue my inner rebellion, which I freely admit probably was not such a hot idea. No one ever suggested that I speak with someone. It actually got to a point that as a teenager in my clinic, I was surrounded by little babies. I was convinced that I was the only person my age in the New York City metro area with PKU. It really helps to know that I wasn't alone. What I went through is similar to others my age. Meeting with peers at that time would have been an outstanding opportunity!
      Tara